indieandchichomeabout-meshopfriendsportfoliocontactphoto1photo2photo3photo4photo5

August 17, 2013

Lululemon Half Marathon // Running Pregnant

Remember when Rob & I signed up for the Lululemon half marathon back in January?? We wanted to run a big race together and Vancouver, Canada sounded like a great getaway. Fast forward 3.5 months to finding out we were having a baby!! There was no getting out the race, the tickets were non-refundable as was the airfare... and so began training for a half marathon pregnant.

I've been a runner since I was in HS, but the thought of running 13.1 miles 4.5 months pregnant seemed like a lot to bite off. I was so tired the first two months of training, it was so hard to put in the miles. However, as the day approached we had the attitude of 'it will be what it will be, let's just have some fun.'

The day before the race we went to get our packets, I was surrounded by tiny little runners and I felt like a beached whale. Rob kept telling me that I looked great and to remember I was carrying a baby, however, I will say being around a bunch of very athletic runners while pregnant is tough.

The morning of the race I wasn't nervous at all, usually I'm so nervous on race days, I get so competitive on beating my old times. This race I knew there was no way I would be beating my PR of 1:54, so I really had nothing to lose, my goal was to finish and walk as little as possible.

Rob ran next to me the whole time, even when I got super slow the last 3 miles. It was the most beautiful race I've done, the course was along the seawalls. I surprisingly didn't have any pain while running, I just felt heavy, and couldn't keep up my pace at the end. Also, the baby decided that it wanted to sit on my bladder the whole entire race so that was pretty uncomfortable, but pretty funny. Rob and I finished with a time of 2:32, I'm just happy to have finished without injury.

I will say I enjoy races more non-preggo. For me races are a time to push myself mentally and physically. I want to feel like I left everything out on the course when I finish, but with this race that wasn't safe for me to do. I cannot wait to run my first race post baby and get into the routine of running  with a stroller. I've always been so impressed with moms that do that!

I'll be posting a separate post about the Lululemon Half Marathon later in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment