Run through this routine or circuit once with very light weights or no weight at all. Take a 2-to-3 minute break and hydrate (but don’t drink too much water). Repeat the circuit one more time. Now try the routine with heavier weights and/or ankle weights. The entire program should last 45 to 90 minutes. Do this workout 3-4 times per week.
- Light stretching and Good Mornings or Good Mornings with Knee Bends [2 mins]. How to: (i) Stand straight; (ii) Bend forward at the hips while keeping the back straight; (iii) Return to the upright position. Repeat.
- Jumping Jacks [1 min]
- Platypus Walks [30 seconds]. How to: (i) Stand with your feet a little more than shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out (if using weights hold it over your head); (ii) Keeping your abs tight, slowly walk forward for about 30 seconds, holding the squat; (iii) Walk backward to return to the starting position.
- Shadowboxing [1 min]. How to: Hold light weights in each hand and throw a series of punches. Make sure not to punch so quickly that you hyper-extend your elbows or shoulders. Through out your workout, keep your abs tight and your shoulder blades retracted.
- Plié Squats with Calf Raises [1 min]. How to: (i) Get into a squat position with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell between your legs (your toes should be turned out at a 45-degree angle); (ii) Stick your butt back as you squat down, keeping your weight on your heels; (iii) As you squat, bring your heels off the ground and rise onto the balls of your feet (continue to keep your bodyweight toward your heels); (iv) Bring your heels back to the floor and shift your weight back onto them, squeezing your inner thighs and glutes before pressing back up.
- Reverse Lunges [2 mins]. How to: (i) Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, keep your core stable and weight on your heels; (ii) Take a large step back with your right foot, planting and then lowering your body until both legs are bent in right angles; (iii) Exhale as you extend your legs; (iv) Lift your right foot, bringing your right knee in toward your chest and then launch a front kick into the stomach of an imaginary opponent.
- Squat Thrusts [1 min]. How to: (i) Stand with your feet hip-width apart, and hold a weight or medicine ball (optional) with both hands at chest level with your elbows bent; (ii) Bend your knees, stick your butt back, and go into a squat; (iii) Continue bending your knees as you bend forward from the hips, placing the weight on the floor under your breastbone; (iv) Press your hands onto the weight as you jump and extend your legs behind your body into a push-up position (keep your abs tight the entire time); (v) Recoil your legs and rise to the starting position.
- Scissors Reverse Crunches [1 min]. How to: (i) Lie on your back on a mat; (ii) Bring both legs into the air so that the legs are perpendicular to your body; (iii) Stabilize your core and tighten your abs; (iv) Bring your feet apart so your legs form a scissor shape and then pull from your hips in a reverse crunch. Make sure your feet are flexed.
- Donkey Kicks [2 mins]. How to: (i) Get on all fours with your hands under your shoulders, knees under your hip; keep back flat, not arched or curled; (ii) Contract your abs to stabilize your torso; (iii) Inhale as you lift your right knee off the floor and pull it straight in toward your chest; (iv) Exhale as you press your right foot back and up behind you in an arching motion (you should feel this in your buttocks); (v) Inhale as you lower your leg until your thigh is parallel to the floor; (vi) Exhale as you raise your leg again, this time bent at a 90-degree angle, pulsing your heel toward the ceiling; (vii) Exhale as you straighten and raise your right leg behind you; (vii) Inhale as you lower your leg.
- Bench Stepups [1 min]. How to: (i) Stand in front of a step with your core stable; (ii) Place your right foot on the step and press up through the heel of your right foot to lift your body off the ground onto the bench; (iii) Once the right leg is extended, bring your left knee up toward your chest; (iv) Lower yourself to the ground; (v) Switch legs and repeat the motion on the other side. TIP: Resist the urge to push off with your foot while stepping up, and instead focus on pushing only with the leg that is lifting the body.
- Pushups [1 min]
And that my friends is what I've been up to...just add Taylor Swift and Drake music blasting in the background ;)